Monday, November 9, 2009

The Great Awakening: silence in a loud world

Ever wonder what silence sounds like?  Have you ever been so tired and exhausted of radio, tv, advertisements and products, that you've turned-off, and unplugged everything in your house?  Ever been so bored with being stimulated by tv and radio that you feel saturated? I have.  

There's much to be said about the one who seeks silence on a daily basis, either to meditate, to hear his breathing, to focus his mind on nothing or to journal about one's feelings, etc.  When's the last time you did this for yourself?  Ever think it would be a treat that would taste better than dessert? Ever had a massage? If so, then you know what relaxation feels like--so why not strive for that feeling daily--doing yoga or simply breathing slowly, deeply and allowing your mind to fall away from your body.

I remember early in the semester we watched that interview on the Conan O' Brian show, "Everything's amazing and nobody's happy."  If you remember it, great, if not, it was all about the fact that our generation is less patient, less excited, less understanding, only looking for pleasant gratification rather than critique or satifaction.  Our generation is dulled by this novelty of new technology and yet no one is truly satisfied or in a consistent state of happiness bc they're always looking for the newest, latest and greatest product or "toy" to upgrade to next or buy soon and it makes one's patience and expectations dwindle.

If you think you have patience, you're wrong.  If you want patience, you've only just begun.  Patience begins when you wish to be silent and silence has much to say to you if you're willing to listen.  

Here's something to try.  Catholics have Lent, a 40 day fast from something, something which they desire and wish to do without.  Many other religions have such trials of self-discipline, like Muslims have Ramadahn--fasting alllll day and eating only after the sun goes down.  they do this for 30 days.  Again, self-discipline.  Anyway, Lent is a fast.  So last semester, I was so tired of TV and radio, that I decided to turn it alllll off and not watch nor listen to radio for 40 days.  A fast from TV and entertainment.  

I wanted to see if I could gain wisdom through silence as well as forcing myself to read or write as a means to get in better touch with my emotions and thoughts rather than clouding them with the daily none-sense of tv and radio.  I asked myself, "Would my dreams become more adventurous? Would my conversations become more meaningful?  Would I listen better and more fully since I didn't have as much clutter in the background of my mind?  Could I become more fully aware of myself and truly think before I spoke or acted?  Would my Spirit be quieter? My mind be quieter?  Would I speak with better clarity?  How would I change?"

All these questions I had and wished to seek.  Resisting TV and radio was no sweat for me, honestly.  I found my mind was becoming more clear, my Spirit was calming and my reading soared.  I found myself in deep thought much much more and I really enjoyed it.  On my way to class, no iPod, just sight and senses of everything around me and my thoughts.  I was better able to be in-touch with just what exactly was circling around my head and what was on my heart.

Everyone thinks silence is something external, a physical quieting of one's environment and surroundings, but actually, silence is internal.  Silence is the result of a quiet mind, and calm Spirit, nothing else.  

No comments:

Post a Comment